Wednesday, January 23 – In its 34th year of honoring the nation’s most elite high school athletes, The Gatorade Company today announced Ellie Holzman of Mount Carmel Academy in New Orleans, La. as the 2018-19 Gatorade National Volleyball Player of the Year. She was selected out of the more than half a million high school volleyball players across the country.
The Fighting Illini commit was surprised with the award during her lunch hour among teammates, friends and family. The award, which recognizes not only outstanding athletic excellence, but also high standards of academic achievement and exemplary character demonstrated on and off the court, distinguishes Holzman as the nation’s best high school volleyball player (see below for full list of previous winners).
“For the Gatorade Player of the Year award, we look for student-athletes that stand out in their sport, at school and in their community and Ellie Holzman does just that,” said Gatorade Senior Vice President and General Manager Brett O’Brien. “Not only is Holzman one of the best high school volleyball players in the country, but she is also a model student in the classroom and someone to look up to in her community.”
Ellie Holzman Quick Hits:
- The 6-foot-2 senior middle blocker and outside hitter led the Cubs to a 42-2 record and a fourth-straight Division I state championship this past season.
- A two-time MaxPreps First Team All-American selection, Holzman slammed 571 kills and compiled 303 digs to go with 101 blocks and 30 service aces, posting a kill percentage of .533 and a hitting percentage of .486.
- A three-time winner of the Gatorade Louisiana Volleyball Player of the Year award, Holzman concluded her prep volleyball career with 2,426 kills, 1,379 digs and 749 blocks.
- A member of the Latin National Honor Society and MCA’s Book Club, Holzman has volunteered locally with an anti-drug program and as a youth volleyball and basketball coach.
- Holzman has maintained a 4.0 GPA in the classroom. She has signed a National Letter of Intent to play volleyball on scholarship at the University of Illinois this fall.
Gatorade Player of the Year Background
A national advisory panel comprised of sport-specific experts and sports journalists helped select Holzman from more than half a million high school volleyball players nationwide. Holzman is now a finalist for the most prestigious award in high school sports, the Gatorade Female High School Athlete of the Year award, which is announced at a special ceremony prior to The ESPY Awards in July.
Since the program’s inception in 1985, Gatorade Player of the Year award recipients have won hundreds of professional and college championships, and many have also turned into pillars in their communities, becoming coaches, business owners and educators. Previous winners include a distinguished list of athletes, such as Peyton Manning, Abby Wambach, Karl-Anthony Towns, Derek Jeter and many other sports icons.
PREVIOUS GATORADE NATIONAL VOLLEYBALL PLAYER OF THE YEAR WINNERS